.communities for .NET 3.5

Topics: Developer Information, Framework, General
Coordinator
Jan 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Okay, so now that we have Visual Studio 2008 out of Beta I've been looking at a few ways that .communities can be improved and made simpler for development. The biggest change that I'm intending to make is to remove the Enterprise Library and instead use LINQ to create the classes. The whole provider model will need to be updated so that it is easier to plug-in new modules and the MVC framework (currently in development) would solve all the problems of URL rewriting and partial trust limitations for hosting at an ISP.

This is of course when I have the time to do it - contractual obligations aside I could possibly burn 5-10 hours a week on the project. If you are looking for a more immediate solution I would recommend you take a look at the CASK project instead...
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:04 AM
Edited Jan 11, 2008 at 4:04 AM

CSharpEd wrote:
Okay, so now that we have Visual Studio 2008 out of Beta I've been looking at a few ways that .communities can be improved and made simpler for development. The biggest change that I'm intending to make is to remove the Enterprise Library and instead use LINQ to create the classes. The whole provider model will need to be updated so that it is easier to plug-in new modules and the MVC framework (currently in development) would solve all the problems of URL rewriting and partial trust limitations for hosting at an ISP.

This is of course when I have the time to do it - contractual obligations aside I could possibly burn 5-10 hours a week on the project. If you are looking for a more immediate solution I would recommend you take a look at the CASK project instead...

I have also been thinking of doing a portal site using 3.5 features using Community Server as a base. It seems that you are more advanced than I am so I would love to have a look at your code and possibly contribute in some way.

As I understand, the 2 major changes in 3.5, that can be of some use, are the MVC addin plus the DLINQ implemenation. I would seriously look at the DLINQ aspect as I have read that the the performance can really suffer in some cases. For really performant sites, the Stored procedure/BL approach is the best way to go. I personally like to use stored procedures with CSLA.Net and Codesmith.

I also am in the process of doing my Biztalk certification, but would love to spend what little spare time I get on this project.
Shailen Sukul :-)
www.ashlen.com.au
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM

shailensukul wrote:

I have also been thinking of doing a portal site using 3.5 features using Community Server as a base. It seems that you are more advanced than I am so I would love to have a look at your code and possibly contribute in some way.

As I understand, the 2 major changes in 3.5, that can be of some use, are the MVC addin plus the DLINQ implemenation. I would seriously look at the DLINQ aspect as I have read that the the performance can really suffer in some cases. For really performant sites, the Stored procedure/BL approach is the best way to go. I personally like to use stored procedures with CSLA.Net and Codesmith.

Feel free to download the existing code and have a look through it - there are are few bugs here and there, but you might be surprised at what you find hidden in the depths... It's been good to get away from the source for a while and do other projects, as I can now cast a more critical eye over it and use it as a "Proof of Concept" for the next version(s). Its also been great hearing some of the feedback as its highlighted the areas that are important to users and those that are not.

I'm not sure what direction I will be taking with the .communities project at this moment in time, the original idea was to create a modern version of the CSK but the CASK project is still alive and well, so maybe some of this code could be merged into the CASK project somehow - either way, I will leave the source here on CodePlex as a reference for other developers to use.

As for performance, I've found from experience that it really all depends on the design of the application as a whole rather than any single component. There is always the argument between the benefits of dynamic-SQL vs. Stored Procedures but I tend not to take too much stock of them - the trick is to learn where the potential pitfalls may arise and where to use them effectively and efficiently. This version of .communities is blisteringly fast compared to the CSK, not because of efficient SQL but in fact from the effective use of data/page cacheing, which the CSK does not have.

Ed